Wednesday, September 29, 2010

And you, bitch, aren't getting enough leafy greens

I really can't figure out why people have trouble with me being vegan, but here we go again... from the "Are you sure you're getting enough {insert nutrient here}?" files:

I was at work the other day and I broke a nail on something. I went into the back to clip the jagged edge off so that, sensibly enough, I wouldn't catch it again on something and cause more damage. I should also note that (a) it was a cool day, (b) my hands were cold from the morning's ride in (4 degrees is chilly to ride in and I didn't have my winter gear on) and (c) it was ONE.BROKEN.NAIL.

So anyway, I pop into the back to get into my backpack to get my multi-tool thingee to clip the nail. I make the mistake of commenting to the women sitting around the desk in the back room, "Hmm, my nail seems brittle."

It, umm, broke, after all.

Immediately there's a Greek freaking chorus.



Ooo woooooo ooohhh!
WARNING VEGAN!
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
YOU'RE NOT GETTING ENOUGH....
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
VITAMIN B! COLLAGEN! PROTEIN! VITAMIN C!
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
WAIT, ISN'T THAT THE ONE FOR SCURVY?
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
ARE YOU SURE?
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
PRETTY SURE.
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
OH. SORRY.
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
STILL...THIS VEGAN LIFESTYLE!
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
IT CAN'T BE HEALTHY! YOU BROKE A NAIL!
Ooo woooooo ooohh!
(gnashing, wailing, grinding of teeth and beating of breast)



It's always the sweaty fast-food-burger-munching carnivores who express such dismay at my diet. Of course, when your vegetable intake for the day consists of Doritos ("Hey! That's corn, right there! Corn!"), I can understand how you would be concerned that I may be missing out on an essential nutrient. Thanks for your concern, but my nail will be fine. How's your cholesterol, btw?

No comments:

Post a Comment